How Christmas is Celebrated Throughout the World

Christmas is a very common popular tradition found all around the world.  But many countries celebrate it a little differently than the rest.  So in today’s blog post, I will be talking about how Christmas is celebrated differently in different countries (keep in mind I am NOT talking about every country).  First, I will talk about how Christmas is celebrated in the United States (and England).  In the United States Christmas is celebrated on the 25th of December while Christmas Eve is on the 24th of December.  This is said to be the day that Christ was born.  For Christmas, people set up many decorations such as snowmen, stockings, Christmas trees, etc.  On Christmas day kids get presents (gifts) which are found under the Christmas tree.  As tradition, people say a guy named Santa Claus comes down the chimney and puts presents under the Christmas tree.

The second country that celebrates Christmas differently is Greece.  Greece is quite different from the United States.  In Greece, people believe in goblins that come around and cause ruckus throughout the 12 days of Christmas.  They then give gifts on the day of St. Basil’s Day which is January 1st.  Another country that celebrates Christmas differently is Australia.  Australia isn’t much different other than mostly the location of Australia.  It isn’t very surprising if certain areas of Australia reach 100 degrees Fahrenheit.  Because of this, it is very warm and sunny which means people can go out on beaches and it is very ordinary if you find outdoor barbecues.  Other than that, it is just a regular Christmas where families can gather and give gifts.

Another country that celebrates Christmas very different is Mexico.  Mexico uses pinatas during Christmas for kids to get a chance to whack at.  Once it is broken, the kids race to the smashed pinata and before the pinata was smashed it had candy in it.  So the kids race to get the cant which is scattered all over the ground.  Another country that celebrates Christmas another way is Ukraine.  The thing that makes the way that this country celebrates Christmas different from the others is that they have twelve-course meal.  It may not seem that different but it is because before the feast begins, the youngest child has to look through their window and wait for the evening star to arrive.  This then signals that the feast can begin.  As you can see not everyone celebrates Christmas the way you do.  I hope that this post changed your view on Christmas and I am sure that there are many more countries that celebrate Christmas differently but you can go explore that for yourself (I’ll leave two links to websites that you can use to learn about how Christmas is celebrated throughout the world.  Thanks for reading.

Links:

Website 1

Website 2

Santa's Little Pug ReindeerCreative Commons License DaPuglet via Compfight